Sunday 6 September 2020

SQUATTERS WRITE


I live with Anxiety and Depression.
They squat with me.
They know their rights.

Anxiety has a thousand ideas for home improvement.

              all at once 
        at the same time 
simultaneously     
              together
   concurrently

Not concurrently.

That's not at the same time. 
Or is it?

Damn.

Start again. 

                 from the start
    of course from the start
       where else can you start
     if you didn't 
                start at the start
     it wouldn't be called 
the start

Start again



It's not Anxiety's house. 
It squats with me.
It knows its rights


Depression hates every single one of these ideas
They're not outstanding 
They're not superb 
They're not terrific 
They're not unsurpassed 
They're not transcending 
They're not matchless
They're as fucking stupid as you are
Which is ordinarily stupid
No
Just ordinary
Now that’s depressing



It's not Depression’s house.
It squats with me it knows its rights.

Black mold on the walls
Black holes on the soul
That’s better. 
I should let Anxiety know that one
Though he’d only worry about black holes
Sucking out all the light 
Spewing forth darkness
Chewing up universes
One atom at a time

And what a time to be alive
If time had any meaning 
We hang watches from our wrists 
We hang clocks on the wall
We hang our heads in shame
We’re time lords
And ladies and gentlemen
Welcome to the beginning of time
Which probably started with a black hole
Having crushed another universe into oblivion
Vomits it forth into ours
Screaming and crying
A reincarnated newborn
With no one to slap its arse and tell it to breathe
But it does
The immaculate conception
Born of a crushed universe
And?
And probably God
Why not?
It’s as safe a place to start as any
And there is nowhere to start
At the beginning of time
Or nowhen 

Now then

Anxiety and Depression
They know their rights
They squat in me
Astride my hopes and with my fears
But I’ve grown attached to them 
They told me to say that
Stockholm Syndromes
The pair of them
They know their rights
And I know i’m right
And I know they know their rights
And they know I know I’m right
It’s all very cosy inside my brain
Or whatever part of me makes me 
Me
I think it’s my brain
But many years ago
At one time or another
It was my dick
My liver
My sweet left foot
And my blue blue eyes
Both of them you see
I needed both to see
I needed all of that to be me

Squatters rights
Squatters write on the walls
And on the toilet doors
And on the threadbare floors
And when they’ve written 
On every blank space 
They ruminate in rooms
And hate and wait
And often late
Though mark the date
And mark my words
There’s blank space yet 
Between the words
Because there’s the place
The blank space
We’ve yet to use
A whole universe awaits
Between the walls
Inside the cracks
Or maybe just maybe
That’s where the Black Holes live
Waiting to suck out the life and light
From those that dare
To fall between the words and the cracks
Now that they start to appear in my thinking
I wish i was still drinking
I’d remember it in the morning through groans
And moans and recriminations
A rainbow elation
When a rediscovered memory 
Becomes the pot of gold
It never gets old
Because time as I’ve said
Only exists because of the watches
And clocks 
And timetables
Which is where time is eaten
And washing up is done after a timely meal 
Or a tiny meal
And a Happy Meal comes with a toy
If you throw away the toy 
You can play with the packaging
And it’s damaging to
The environment
Which is wasteful 
Who needs the N in environment
What a waste
Ian Dury 
Goodnight.

Stephen Kerr 25.03.19

No comments:

Post a Comment